When embarking on a new design, it’s important to have a clear understanding of the regulatory requirements that may be associated with the residence. To ensure that the relevant considerations are made, a designer should always determine the following before commencing work:
- the building classification (defined by the NCC)
- state or territory regulatory requirements
- local council compliance issues (planning, building and health), if applicable
- housing estate covenants, if applicable
- strata committee or body corporate requirements, if applicable
We’ve developed a straightforward site survey checklist that will help you get into the habit of collecting this information – along with all other critical observations and measurements – at the beginning of each new project.